Friday, October 25, 2013

Weblog 10/25



 

 

My social action project group is focusing on the problems with privacy through facebook and the overall internet in general.  This article shows a study from a pretty well known magazine Consumer reports.  It shows that almost everything that someone does on facebook can be used harmfully towards you in some way.  They can take some little piece of information that doesn’t seem important or seem like burglars or identity thieves can do anything with it, but as Consumer reports shows these small pieces of information can make or break something happening.  One example that really shocked me and kind of stood out of the rest was that if you “like” a facebook page about health conditions or treatments, an insurer can use that “like” against you.  Now I find that a completely wrong thing to do.  I think that most of the time people who like a page about health conditions or treatments, it is trying to promote a good cause like bringing awareness to breast cancer or something like that.  I would never have thought that something like this could happen.  Another interesting example that was in the article was that 4.8 million have used Facebook to say where they planned to go on a certain day.  I know that this does happen a lot.  I have seen and witnessed people do this over and over again.  I think that if you want everybody know where you are going, then you should already know the consequences for letting the world know where you are going, especially if you are alone.  This is just another reason why I do not use social media.  I think that privacy is important and if I want to tell people where I am going I can call them, without telling the whole world.

No comments:

Post a Comment