Thursday, September 19, 2013

9/20 Weblog-http://www.pbs.org/mediashift/2011/06/the-twitter-effect-how-social-media-changes-the-news-narrative179/

http://www.pbs.org/mediashift/2011/06/the-twitter-effect-how-social-media-changes-the-news-narrative179/
i-33f6a8b9816bc1bcf1743451a8d1b06d-rdunndailynews.png
The second part of this article really interested me the most because I sort of have a connection to this subject.  The same reason that this article writes about is why I do not have any sort of social media.  I think that social media can be cool, interesting, and useful, but I believe that it does more harm than good especially when things can be so distorted and become a totally different story.  I remember when Ryan Dunn had died and I do believe that twitter and social media had spread the word incorrectly, and this lead to some very cruel and offensive things that were said by famous people.  Roger Ebert, a famous film critic even tweeted," Friends don’t let Jackasses drink and drive,”.  Obviously, it was supposed to be a joke, but I guarantee that this guy would never say this to one of Ryan Dunn’s friends or family members face.  So I think that twitter and all other social media enables us to act differently than we would in real life and I think it can will continue to lead to people saying things that they definitely regret putting out there for the whole world to see forever.  I think that most of the time people do this without thinking and it can be a true mistake, but I also think that other people do put things out there simply because they can and I don’t think that it is right to take advantage of the power of the internet and social media.  Because that I think I will become a different person in the social media world I will try not to get involved as much as I can. 

                                                                                R.I.P. Ryan Dunn

No comments:

Post a Comment