Friday, September 27, 2013

Weblog 9/27- http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2011/03/technology-is-not-the-answer/73065/

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2011/03/technology-is-not-the-answer/73065/
What I got out of this article is that technology can be used to make certain things that are possible without technology better, and things that aren’t possible without technology that is still very difficult to make happen.  In other words I think what the writer was trying to say is that technology is great and has its purposes, but it cannot solve every problem in the universe.  There is a graph in this article that I thought was quite interesting.  It shows that with the increase in technology, the increase in poverty rates also increase.  What I got out of this graph is that even when we bring technology into areas of poverty, the rate of poverty does not change the rate of poverty in the United States.  I would have thought, prior to looking at this graph that the poverty rate would have dropped with the advancements of technology.  I am extremely surprised that this is the case not only from a technology standpoint, but just because I thought we would have a better idea of this problem of poverty.  Poverty is a different kind of problem than say something like robberies in the United States or a network not being on a certain cable provider.  What I mean is robberies are definitely important and something to look to stop, but I think that poverty affects the whole world.  I think that poverty is a very important issue.  However, I do think that technology will have some kind of role in the rate of poverty in the future.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment